Help build a safer, stronger, more hopeful future.
Ubuntu School Vice Principal
Ubuntu School Vice Principal – Permanent contract in Zwide, Port Elizabeth
Ubuntu Pathways is a 20-year-old non-profit based in Port Elizabeth providing cradle to career care to over 2,000 orphaned and vulnerable children. For more about the Ubuntu Pathways, refer to www.ubuntupathways.org.
Ubuntu Pathways is an equal opportunity employer and preference is given to candidates whose appointment will promote representivity.
This Port Elizabeth, Zwide based NGO has the following vacancy for which an excellent basic salary and benefits are being offered.
All candidates progressing past the CV screening phase might be expected to undergo mandatory competence-based assessments.
Closing date for applications: Friday 23rd October 2020
Ubuntu Pathways (www.ubuntupathways.org) is seeking a Vice Principal to help us launch a progressive primary school for 220 children ages 2-8 (pre-primary through grade 4) in Zwide Township, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. This position reports directly to the school Principal and works in collaboration with Ubuntu’s Executive Team. Ubuntu is looking for an open, flexible leader who aims to create a safe and supportive school environment. (S)He should promote investigation, curiosity, and play as central facets of the school’s vision and mission.
Key responsibilities include:
- Serve as principal during principal’s absence
- Assist principal in all daily and long-term responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Leading day-to-day functioning of the school
- Coordinating academic and timetabling programs
- Coordinating and manage events
- Working with local leaders, teachers, staff, and parents to assure a consistent, high-functioning learning environment
- Conducting parent interviews and respond to parental needs
- Implementing and maintain Code of Conduct
- Implementing a system to monitor student progress, including maintaining accurate attendance records
- Managing the school’s discretionary budget
- Managing marketing, public relations and advertising for the school
- Coordinating outreach programs
- Developing student leadership
- Managing student disciplinary measures
- Developing school curriculum with the support of an advisory team
- Driving and manage innovation, research, development and implementation of initiatives
- Working directly with the Education Capacity Coach to develop and adapt the school’s academic/operating models as required
- Managing all additional school activities, including but not limited to: transportation, health and safety policies, social services, and referrals
- Working with Education Capacity Coach to manage professional development and accountability procedures for staff
Experience and skill requirements are as follows:
- Recognized degree and/or 4-year post-matric Teaching Qualification
- Minimum 5 years teaching and management experience in a similar type of position in a similar environment
- Experience and/or willingness to lead constructivist learning activities (e.g. project-based, play-based, or investigative learning) in an early-primary education context
- Experience in a leadership role in an educational environment (note: prior experience as a vice principal is not required)
- Experience working with children
- Ability to motivate and deal empathetically at all levels
- Excellent interpersonal skills with colleagues, students and parents
- Ability to be energetic, self-motivates and use own initiative
- Ability to work as a team player
- Excellent organization, administrative and project management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Conflict management skills
- An innovative and creative outlook
- Comfort with experimentation and pushing the status quo
- Comfort with the ambiguity inherent in a start-up environment
- Computer literacy
- SACE Registration
Salary commensurate with skills and experience. Additional benefits such as medical aid, provident fund, funeral cover, life cover, additional annual leave days and study leave days are also offered.
Application Information & Method
- Send your CV and cover letter via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please do not contact or forward your application directly to Ubuntu Pathways. Make use of the above contact information.
- Make sure that your save your CV under your name AND surname.
- Make sure that you type the name of the job/position that you are applying for the "subject" section of your email.
- Please include an active and current e-mail address which can be used for communication purposes and which you are happy to receive e-mail information on regarding your application.
- Please ensure that your CV includes the following information:
- Late applications will not be considered.
- If you are not contacted within thirty (30) days after closing date, you should consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
- Please indicate on your CV whether you have a criminal record, were found guilty of misconduct or have pending criminal or misconduct chargers.
- Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a security and credit clearance check, a competency assessment, signing a performance contract on appointment and signing an employment contract on appointment.
- Notice Period at current place of work.
- Salary expectation – per month, basic without benefits.
- Please indicate two referees. Requirements for referees:
- must have acted as a supervisor/manager
- must give permission to act as referee and thus be contacted