Help Us Build The Ubuntu High School.
Ubuntu School Master Teacher
Job Description: Ubuntu School Master Teacher
Location: Gqeberha, South Africa
Designation: Full-Time Staff Member (Contracted)
Salary Range: Market related and commensurate with qualifications and experience
Who We Are: Ubuntu Pathways
Ubuntu Pathways is an international nonprofit organization with headquarters in Gqeberha, South Africa and overseas offices in New York and London. Ubuntu Pathways is dedicated to working with the people of the Eastern Cape Province to develop quality education and healthy communities in the new South Africa. For more about Ubuntu Pathways, refer to www.ubuntupathways.org.
Ubuntu Pathways is an equal opportunity employer.
This Gqeberha, Zwide based NGO has the following vacancy for which an excellent basic salary and benefits are being offered.
The Ubuntu School offers students an exceptional education and a transformational pathway out of poverty. Our team instills confidence, creative expression, character growth, and social skills through a flexible, evolving, and child-driven learning model. Through a nurturing environment, high-quality instruction, and world-class wraparound support, we provide everything South Africa's most vulnerable children need to thrive.
Master Teachers work collaboratively with school administration to provide targeted instructional leadership at the classroom level. Through the demonstration of instructional expertise, these teacher leaders support colleagues in developing their classroom practices to meet student needs and curricular demands. They collaborate with school leaders to develop, facilitate, and evaluate the success of building level professional development activities aligned to prioritized school goals.
The Master Teacher also performs informal classroom observations using specific Instructional rubrics, and provides ongoing follow-up support to teachers to help connect observation feedback to steps for improvement. Master Teachers must have expert curricular knowledge, outstanding instructional skills, and the ability to work effectively with other adults.
The Master Teacher will provide instructional support and coaching to teachers as they work to ensure that each student is able to reach his or her academic potential. The Master Teachers’ primary role is to teach alongside new teachers to support best practices in using data, provide analysis and trends in instruction, and make recommendations about potential next steps to address areas of need. As an advisor to teachers, the Master Teacher is responsible for four main areas: a) implementing instructional delivery alongside classroom teachers and providing feedback to enhance and support the development of each teacher's content area b) supporting teachers in the design of units and lessons for the development of their year-long curriculum, c) analyzing data in order to modify curriculum and forms of assessment to meet students' needs, and d) working with school leadership in the school to support sharing of best practices.
The Master Teacher must take a hands-on approach to improving instruction via data analysis, curricular internalization, and modeling in classrooms to support teacher development under the direction of Principal/Instructional Leadership.
The Ubuntu School is looking for someone who models flexibility, passion, and commitment to supporting and building others. This person needs to have a deep understanding and commitment to progressive education and be able to dive into a new curriculum that they may be unfamiliar with. This person will encourage reflection, provide guidance and structure, and focus on teacher strengths and accountability.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Assist teachers in application of new professional learning.
- Understand and analyze data from multiple sources.
- Use data to identify student learning trends, support with setting goals and modify instruction
- Support student achievement in accordance with school improvement plans.
- Work collaboratively with school administration as an instructional leader.
- Work alongside Classroom Teachers to internalize curriculum, analyze data, and create instructional next steps.
- Demonstrate model lessons and support teachers in using effective instructional strategies to meet students’ diverse learning needs.
- Support with leading professional development by sharing best practices and strategies.
- Assist teachers with understanding and sourcing resources for classroom instruction and planning.
- Assist teachers with planning and pacing of lessons, the development of differentiated lessons, and the selection of best practices to meet the needs of their students.
- Assist teachers in learning new teaching practices and dynamic models that involve experiential investigative and inquiry based learning
- Teach/model lessons in classrooms on a daily/weekly basis, teaching lessons side-by-side with teachers
- Observe teachers’ lessons and provide feedback for professional growth and students’ success
- Implement other approved instructional coaching strategies
- At least five years of successful teaching experience in elementary education as measured by performance evaluations, promotions, value-added data and other evidence of instructional excellence
- Demonstrated expertise in content, curriculum development, student learning, test analysis, mentoring, and professional development
- Instructional expertise demonstrated through model teaching, team- teaching, video presentations, etc
- Excellent communication skills and an understanding of how to facilitate professional growth in adults
- Master’s degree preferred, but not required; professional license required
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision, goals and objectives of Ubuntu Pathways and the Ubuntu School
- Demonstrated ability to work with young children and families from diverse racial/cultural populations
- Knowledge of and experience with student-centered curriculum, instruction, and assessment, as well as progressive education
- A deep understanding of theories of literacy, including the diagnostic teaching of reading and reading intervention
- Significant experience with literacy curriculum development and daily lesson planning
- Experience in analyzing data and using results to modify curricula
- Experience working with adult learners, coaching teachers, and delivering professional development.
- Excellent judgment, growth mindset, communication, and creative problem-solving skills
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive working style
- Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, and resourceful outlook – demonstrated willingness to do whatever it takes to help our students reach a level of academic excellence
- Ability to model positive and healthy character traits and habits, such as being organized, consistent and understanding
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to the Ubuntu School mission and willingness to serve the Ubuntu School community
- Understanding of challenges and opportunities in a start-up school environment
- Completion of a background check
Application Information & Method
- Send your CV and cover letter via Email to : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure that you save your CV under your name AND surname.
- Make sure that you type the name of the job/position that you are applying for the "subject" section of your email.
- Please include an active and current e-mail address which can be used for communication purposes and which you are happy to receive e-mail information on regarding your application.
- If you are not contacted within thirty (30) days after the closing date, you should consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
- Please indicate on your CV whether you have a criminal record, were found guilty of misconduct or have pending criminal or misconduct chargers.
- Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a security and credit clearance check, a competency assessment, signing a performance contract on appointment and signing an employment contract on appointment.