Help support Phase 2 of Ubuntu’s COVID response today.
Ubuntu Pathways School Counsellor
The Ubuntu School, situated in Zwide – Port Elizabeth, is a primary school with 200 learners from age 2-10 Our school’s philosophy is a relevant hands-on curriculum, along with the commitment to nurture each learner’s social and emotional intelligence. We are seeking a nurturing and supportive School Counselor to work collaboratively with school leadership, teachers and parents to help our learners achieve their highest academic, emotional and behavioral potential. Our School Counselor will ensure that they nurture an environment where each learner is served according to their unique needs.
- Builds a positive, supportive school culture among learners, staff, and parents through the coordinating of community circles, staff, school and family events;
- Collaborates with instructional leadership on developing social emotional programs and curriculum
- Provide professional development and 1:1 supports around social emotional intelligence, skills, etc.; trains teachers in their role as mandated reports of suspected child abuse and neglect; acts as school liaison with Child Care Service Organizations
- Provides individual and small group counseling for learners referred by staff or self-referred for learners whose behavior, school progress, or mental or physical challenges indicates a need for support;
- Conducts frequent and consistent classroom observations in order to best support learners and staff;
- Proactively coordinates events that support and train families with learners identified as at-risk;
- Coordinates and conducts psycho-educational evaluations, including cognitive and academic achievement testing, and provide high-quality counseling sessions for learners with behaviour plans and at-risk scholars;
- Provides mandated counseling services pursuant to learners behaviour plans;
- Conducts student observations and/or Functional Behavior Analyses for learners who have persistent behavioral issues;
- Collaborates with teacher(s) and other relevant staff in developing behavior plans for identified/referred learners;
- Plays an integral role in supporting the instructional team in the Response to Intervention (RtI) process;
- Collaborates with the leadership team in overall parent communication in regards to all learners, not limited to: at-risk learners, learners receiving counseling services;
- Maintains case history records and prepares reports;
- Lead crisis management for learners in need of this support; and
- Engage in school-based support team to ensure student progress through the right supports and interventions.
- Masters in Social Work or School Counseling or relevant experience
- Appropriate certification
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in primary school education, serving as a counselor or social worker
- Demonstrated ability in holding successful individual and group sessions with learners;
- Experience in social emotional learning curriculum, preferably restorative justice practices;
- Alignment to Ubuntu Pathways mission, core beliefs, and educational philosophy;
- Be a person of high moral character;
- Be passionate about learning.
- Speaking fluent English and isiXhosa is a prerequisite for this role.
Salary is market related commensurate with experience.
Application Information & Method
- Send your CV via Email to : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure that your save your CV under your name AND surname.
- Make sure that you type the name of the job/position that you are applying for the "subject" section of your email.
- Please include an active and current e-mail address which can be used for communication purposes and which you are happy to receive e-mail information on regarding your application.
- Late applications will not be considered.
- If you are not contacted within fourteen (14) days after closing date, you should consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
- Please indicate on your CV whether you have a criminal record, were found guilty of misconduct or have pending criminal or misconduct chargers.
- Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a security and credit clearance check, a competency assessment, signing a performance contract on appointment and signing an employment contract on appointment.
Closing Date : Friday 12 March 2021