Celebrate 20 years by making an anniversary gift.
Special Events Internship (Spring/Summer 2019)
Ubuntu Internship Development Program
- Professional Skills Building: Projects that build communication skills, research capabilities, ability to work in a fast-paced, multifaceted workplace, partnership-building capacities, understanding of development in Africa, and professionalism.
- Insight into Nonprofit Sector: Informal interviews with heads of departments across the organization, discussions on nonprofit and development trends and happenings, as well as access to industry professionals on an as-needed basis.
- Personalized Mentorship: Career guidance, regular feedback sessions with supervisor, and CV/resume building workshops.
- Real-World Development Experience: Working relationships and networking opportunities with nonprofit professionals based in South Africa, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
Special Events Intern tasks will include, but are not limited to:
20th Anniversary NYC Gala – Our high-profile annual 450-person fundraising event on June 6th, 2019.
- Coordinate logistics with dozens of vendors/service providers
- Book transportation and accommodation for entertainers and speakers
- Respond to telephone/e-mail inquiries from event guests and volunteers
- Create spreadsheets and other documents to help with organization of the event
- Draft thank you letters to gala donors and file backup documentation
- Input guest contact details into Salesforce donor database
- Manage various aspects of event (e.g. check-in, pledge moment, live auction, cocktail hour)
- Assist with various general support and ad hoc projects for Ubuntu's External Relations department
- Train and manage a team of 10 volunteers on the night of the event
- Demonstrated commitment to Ubuntu's mission and model
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; confident when speaking on telephone and in person
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, must be detail-oriented
- Proficiency on Macs, Google Drive, and Microsoft Office
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Design and Creative Cloud experience a plus
- Fundraising or event planning experience is a plus
- Knowledge of Salesforce or other databases is a plus
- Must be at least a college freshman in good standing, an advanced student, or a recent graduate .
- Start and end dates of the internship in spring and summer are flexible depending on the candidate's situation. Please note your availability range in your application.
- Must be available all day/evening on Thursday, June 6th for the Gala.
Ubuntu will accept applications and notify applicants on a rolling basis.
This is an unpaid internship. However, it may be eligible for college credit. (Please be sure to check with your college or university’s requirements). If interested, please email email@example.com with your resume/CV, cover letter, and summer availability.