Ubuntu Pathways (formerly Ubuntu Education Fund) is a nonprofit organization that provides an integrated support system of health, education, and social support in the townships of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Over the past 20 years, what began as a fortuitous meeting between two strangers has grown into an internationally-recognized blueprint for community transformation. Ubuntu has redefined mainstream development models by focusing on the depth rather than breadth of our impact on a community of 400,000. We believe in trusting those closest to the problem to create the solution. In partnership with the Bertha Foundation, we have created a world-class staff development initiative and today, 95% of our team are leaders from the community we serve.
To deliver a high-end gala event which showcases Ubuntu’s work to high net-worth individuals, in order to raise essential event revenue, secure new support, maintain existing major donor relationships and increase Ubuntu’s profile in the UK.
The role of the Special Events Co-ordinator is to provide administrative and project support to the Special Events Manager, focusing on maintaining organised, efficient and effective processes in the three key areas outlined below, ensuring all tasks are completed in a timely manner. In addition, you will be expected to lead co-ordination of certain key projects on your own, with minimal supervision.
Project Co-ordination & Marketing:
- Under the supervision of the Special Events Manager you will assist with the print for all event collateral, pledge moment and volunteer processes from start to finish. You assist in keeping the projects on track, to deadlines, ensuring effective communication throughout
- Maintain relevant spread sheets relating to this role and attendees list in database
- Attend supplier meeting and site visits
- Contribute to the development of gala messaging, set design, look & feel of the event and all fundraising strategies
- Recruit, brief and manage volunteers
- Take responsibility for pre & post event processes including collation of any items to and from site and thanking all event contacts appropriately
- Book all staff, musician, speaker, staff travel and accommodation
- Research and source potential musicians & entertainment options, as well as venues and other suppliers
- To provide hands-on support on the day and evening of the event to the Special Events Manager
- To brief and manage a team of volunteers during the day and evening of the event
- To assist with coordination of the live auction process – ensuring an exceptional donor experience
- To manage some suppliers onsite if required
- Liaise with internal customers, suppliers, sponsors and donors via all modes of communication ensuring excellent customer service is given in all correspondence
- Arrange couriers, deliveries of materials, props etc.
- Copying, printing, mailing and filing
- Liaise with suppliers and companies on behalf of the Special Events Manager if and when required
- To undertake any other relevant duties or projects delegated by the Special Events Manager, which are in line with the responsibilities of this role
This is an ideal position for someone who wishes to progress in the fields of events and fundraising within the charity sector and is an excellent opportunity to make a positive contribution to Ubuntu’s growth and work in South Africa.
The following skills are essential to this role:
- Excellent organisation, administration and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks/projects at the same time whilst managing changing priorities
- Ability to deliver a high standard of work to tight deadlines in a timely and effective manner
- Experience in events and fundraising highly beneficial
- Competent to work with people at all levels, both internally and externally to the organisation – especially key suppliers to ensure services are delivered effectively and expectations are exceeded
- Confidence and ability to lead co-ordination on certain key projects from start to finish with minimal supervision
- Confidence and ability to manage volunteers onsite
- Ability to research thoroughly, summarise and offer sound recommendations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to proof read a MUST
- IT Literate (Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and ) – especially effective spread sheet, database management and use of PowerPoint
- Ability to remain calm and professional in any circumstance
- Self-motivated, highly enthusiastic, a positive attitude and willing to go that extra mile
- Flexible to work some evenings if and when required
- Availability on Thursday 14th May is essential
- Administrative & operational experience ideally gained in events or hospitality, specifically charity fundraisers, corporate awards and galas
The following skills are desirable:
- Ability to contribute creative ideas to fundraising strategies and marketing materials
Conditions, including but not limited to the below:
- Appointment subject to: Satisfactory references
- Salary: £21,500 - £23,000 pro rata, depending on availability and commensurate with experience.
- Contract: Fixed term until June 2020.
- Expenses: Expenses incurred in connection with work in accordance with organisational policy will be paid.
- Pension: There is a pension scheme which employees may join if they choose to do so.
- Work Base: This is a central London-based post.
- Normal Hours of Work: Your normal hours of work are 9am to 6pm, Monday - Friday
- Holiday Entitlement: In addition to 8 day’s customary holidays, 20 working days pro rata paid holiday in each holiday year. In addition, the Company’s offices will be closed for one week at the end of each calendar year during which you will not be required to work but will be paid as usual.
- Notice: One week’s written notice on either side is required for the termination of the appointment
- Eligibility: Applicants must already be eligible to work in the UK, with a valid visa and work permit if required.
Please send a cover letter and CV to Sophie Platts-Martin – firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Monday 10th February
Interviews will take place: when available/ASAP