Celebrate 20 years by making an anniversary gift.
Special Events and Outreach Manager
Job Title: Special Events and Outreach Manager
Department: External Relations (ER)
Location: Central London
Reports to: UK Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience and depending on availability
Contract Type: Permanent
Start Date: Immediate
Ubuntu provides world-class health and educational support to orphaned and vulnerable children living in the townships of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Nuancing traditional development models, we have redefined the theory of “going to scale;” instead of expanding geographically, we focus on the depth rather than breadth of our impact within a community of 400,000 people. Ubuntu's programmes form an integrated system of health, educational, and social services, ensuring that disadvantaged children succeed in the world of higher education and employment. Ubuntu Pathways breaks the cycle of poverty by providing South Africa's most vulnerable children with what all children deserve—everything, every day. We believe your birthplace should not determine your future, and are proud to have just celebrated our 20th Anniversary at our Annual Gala.
Ubuntu’s UK office aims to raise Ubuntu’s profile in the UK and mobilise our network of donors to support Ubuntu’s current $5 - $6 million annual budget, and Vision 2020 expansion plan. Ubuntu’s development and events team has a target of over £1m and is responsible for securing major donations from individuals, foundations and corporations, and through our primary fundraising strategy of an annual Gala and young professionals event, as well as other opportunities. Join us and you will play an important part in raising essential funds to place disadvantaged students on a pathway from cradle to career. To learn more, please visit www.ubuntupathways.org or watch our ‘I Am Because You Are’ video.
Our Team At-a-Glance:
- Founded 20 years ago in 1999
- 65 global staff with 5 in the UK External Relations team
- 2,000 vulnerable children on pathways out of poverty
Maintain the current special events and outreach portfolio by planning, developing, and delivering successful:
- High-end annual galas. Our next UK Gala will be in May 2020. Ubuntu Galas normally raise at least £500,000 - £750,000.
- Annual young professional parties: Ubuntu Social.
- Other donor-led or third-party events, including those to celebrate our 20th anniversary, and assist with our Vision 2020 expansion plan.
- Small-scale challenge / peer-to-peer fundraising events or opportunities.
Project management of the annual Gala:
- Delivery of all project plans, timelines, and supplier briefs. Includes supplier search, appointment, negotiation and management to ensure we remain on brief, within budget and produce an exceptional event. This includes but is not limited to venue, event / production company, caterers, entertainment, PR company, printers, designers, auctioneer etc.
- Budget creation, management and end–of-year reconciliation.
- Creation of run of show, briefing documents and any other onsite documentation required to ensure a smooth running event.
- Work alongside lawyers for all contract reviews and sign off.
- Work with the marketing team to deliver event collateral that forms part of the year’s messaging campaign across all mediums (print, digital, oral), and manage the print process locally.
- Liaise with and manage speakers and entertainment (visa, accommodation and rehearsals).
- Recruit and manage Events Coordinator and event volunteers.
- Onsite management of suppliers, performers, and internal Ubuntu staff and volunteers.
- Full de-brief, evaluation and recommendations moving forward.
- Ensure all supporters have an exceptional unique experience throughout all event activities.
Fundraising and outreach responsibilities for all events:
- Present to and gain buy-in of ideas from our key stakeholders including event host committees.
- Assist UK Director to secure tickets and table sales in order to hit fundraising targets.
- Contribute to the fundraising strategy and development of auction and pledge moments.
- Solicit auction prizes.
- Build relationships with supporters to maintain and grow their giving.
- Manage relationships with outreach challenge / peer-to-peer opportunities to help them hit their fundraising targets.
- Develop relationships and solicit support towards Ubuntu’s monthly giving programme, THRIVE.
Project management and delivery of Ubuntu Social, donor-led, third-party, and other smaller-scale outreach events:
- As per above responsibilities for the Gala but excluding management of event company and Event Coordinator.
- Keep projects on track, to deadlines, ensuring efficient and effective processes and communication throughout.
- Liaise with internal customers, suppliers, sponsors and donors via all modes of communication, ensuring excellent customer service.
- Ensure continuous improvements of events / processes are undertaken and necessary remedial actions are introduced as effectively as possible.
- Contribute to Ubuntu’s annual strategic planning process.
- Work alongside the Chief External Relations Officer (CERO), UK Director, US Director, and multiple members of the External Relations team to execute fundraising and event strategies in the UK.
- Maintain a broad awareness of developments and trends in the wider events industry by developing and maintaining an active network of industry peers and ensure that Ubuntu benefits from any new innovations or opportunities.
We are looking for a confident, intelligent, highly-motivated, efficient and experience event professional with a ‘can-do’ attitude, to join us and play an important part in raising essential funds to put our children on a pathway out of poverty. The following are essential to this role:
- Minimum 5 years end-to-end operational and administrative experience in events.
- Minimum 3 years event management experience, ideally special events, Gala dinners, charity fundraisers or corporate dinners / awards, and managing complex projects and stakeholders.
- Excellent project management skills - confidence and ability to project manage a portfolio of events, prioritising one high-end gala and one young professionals party, whilst motivating and co-ordinating internal teams to deliver the projects on time and within budget.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks/projects at the same time, to tight deadlines.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Competent to work with people at all levels, both internally and externally and especially with key suppliers to ensure value for money and that services are delivered effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to actively contribute in regular management meetings and yearly strategic planning.
- Efficient and sound decision-making.
- Calm and professional approach under all circumstances, especially under pressure.
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively.
- Self-motivated, highly enthusiastic, positive attitude and willing to go that extra mile.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience and understanding of live auction and pledge moment.
- IT Literate (Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, social media).
Conditions, including but not limited to the below:
- Appointment subject to: Satisfactory references
- Salary: Commensurate with experience and depending on availability.
- Contract: Permanent.
- Expenses: Expenses incurred in connection with work in accordance with organisational policy will be reimbursed.
- Pension: There is a pension scheme which employees may join if they choose to do so, and to which Ubuntu contributes if so.
- Work Base: This is a central London-based post.
- Normal Hours of Work: Your normal hours of work are 9am to 6pm, Monday – Friday.
- Holiday Entitlement: In addition to 8 day’s customary holidays, 20 working days pro rata paid holiday in each holiday year. Further, the Company’s offices will be closed for one week at the end of each calendar year during which you will not be required to work but will be paid as usual.
- Eligibility: Applicants must already be eligible to work in the UK, with a valid visa and work permit if required.
To apply, please send your CV, cover letter and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without all these requirements will not be reviewed. Closing date: Friday 25th October 2019 but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so candidates are advised to submit as soon as possible.