Job title: Data Officer
Department: External Relations (ER)
Reports to: Data Manager
Salary: Commensurate with experience, and dependent on availability
Contract Type: Permanent
Start Date: Immediate
Ubuntu Pathways is an innovative development organisation that provides world-class health and educational support to the orphaned and vulnerable children of Port Elizabeth, South Africa, ensuring they can access higher education and employment. We believe your birthplace should not determine your future. Join us and you will play an important part in raising essential funds to place our students on a pathway from cradle to career. To learn more, please visit www.ubuntupathways.org.
Ubuntu’s UK ER development office aims to raise Ubuntu’s profile in the UK and mobilise our network of donors to support Ubuntu’s current $5 million annual budget, and Vision 2020 expansion plan. Ubuntu’s development team is responsible for securing major donations from individuals, foundations and corporations, and works very closely with our events team to ensure the success of our annual gala. This includes developing a better relationship with existing major donors and seeking to find new links with prospects who have the ability to give generously to South African or children-centred charities.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and talented Data Officer to join our global External Relations team. This position will report to the Data Manager and will be responsible for the data entry, reporting and analysis of Ubuntu’s income across three offices, as well as maintaining the organisation’s global database and processing income. They work very closely with our South Africa (SA) and United States (US) ER teams, and will also provide fundraising and office administrative support to the Data Manager in order to enhance Ubuntu’s fundraising efforts.
- Process all global income in company database (Luminate CRM - Salesforce/Blackbaud)
- Track Gift Aid declarations for UK donations, compile and process claims, and manage protocols and policy
- Maintain donor files
Database Entry and Management
- Record contact information, donations and pledges in company database and electronic and paper filing systems
- Maintain accurate accounts of existing and prospective donors, while upholding high levels of security and confidentiality
- Be the Global superuser of the organisation’s database while maintaining the database and assisting other users across offices
- Perform regular audit of the database to ensure data integrity
- Provide accurate financial and statistical queries, and daily, weekly and monthly reports on global income for analysis and evaluation
- Analyse reports accordingly and present conclusions to Data Manager, and other team members
- Assist with postal and email mailing lists
- Troubleshoot potential technical / data problems
- Ensure all database is compliant with company protocol and data protection guidelines
Development and General Office Support
- Identify and research new prospects - individuals, grant-making bodies and corporate partners
- Assist Development and Events team to manage guest-lists and process payments
- Contribute to Ubuntu’s annual fundraising gala and other fundraising events throughout the year both in person on the day and night, and with ongoing income, guest-list and other administrative support before, during and after the event
- Represent Ubuntu in person, writing and by telephone ensuring that supporters receive excellent customer service
- Proof-reading, mailing, scanning, filing, shredding and other projects, as assigned
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual to gain experience in fundraising strategy, database management, and international development, and make a positive contribution to the lives of vulnerable children in South Africa.
The following skills are essential to this role:
- Passion for Ubuntu’s model
- Minimum 2 - 3 years’ experience in database administration and management, and experience inputting data manually and via imports, and exporting data and using segmentation in reports
- Proficient use of ideally both, but at least one of, Salesforce/Blackbaud Luminate CRM and Raiser’s Edge
- IT literacy (Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint)
- Ability to understand data implications and analyse accordingly
- Thorough researcher
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organisation and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure on multiple tasks/projects at the same time
- Able to deliver a high standard of work to tight deadlines in a timely and effective manner
- Proactive approach
- Ability to multi-task and problem-solve
- Competent working both in an independent and collaborative manner with colleagues in the US and SA
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of tact and diplomacy
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, highly enthusiastic and ability to go the extra mile
- Understanding of legislation relating to data protection and management of information
- Thorough researcher
- Experience managing interns or a group of staff
Conditions, including but not limited to the below:
- Appointment subject to: satisfactory references and completion of a satisfactory probationary period.
- Salary: Dependent on availability and commensurate with experience.
- Contract: Permanent
- Expenses: Expenses incurred in connection with work in accordance with organisational policy will be paid.
- Pension: There is a pension scheme which employees may join if they choose to do so.
- Work Base: This is a central London-based post.
- Normal Hours of Work: Your normal hours of work are 9am to 6pm (inclusive of 1 hour lunch break), Monday – Friday, but some additional hours of this might be required.
- Holiday Entitlement: In addition to 8 day’s customary holidays, 20 working days pro rata paid holiday in each holiday year. In addition, the Company’s offices will be closed for one week at the end of each calendar year during which you will not be required to work but will be paid as usual.
- Notice: Two weeks written notice on either side is required for the termination of the appointment during the probationary period. After the probationary period, one months’ written notice is required on either side.
- Eligibility: Applicants must already be eligible to work in the UK, with a valid visa and work permit if required.
Please send a cover letter (mentioning your availability and how you heard about the position) and CV to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply swiftly.