Help Us Build The Ubuntu High School.
Marketing & Communications Manager
Who We Are: Ubuntu Pathways
Ubuntu provides world-class education and healthcare to orphaned and vulnerable children living in the townships of Gqeberha, South Africa. Nuancing traditional development models, we have redefined the theory of “going to scale;” instead of expanding geographically, we focus on the depth rather than breadth of our impact within a community of 400,000 people. Ubuntu's programs form an integrated system of health, educational, and social services.
Since our inception, Ubuntu has grown into a thriving community institution in the heart of the townships as well as a global model for poverty alleviation, garnering recognition from the likes of the World Economic Forum, Aspen Institute, President Bill Clinton, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Ubuntu Pathways breaks the cycle of poverty by providing South Africa's most vulnerable children with what all children deserve—everything, every day.
- Founded in 1999
- Over 130 global staff
- 2,000 vulnerable children on pathways out of poverty
Who We’re Looking For: Marketing & Communications Manager
You are someone who can envision and execute Ubuntu’s global communications with the goal of creatively growing our brand and raising funds to achieve our mission. You will be in charge of spearheading diverse projects in the department under the direction of the Director. You will own these projects from conception to execution. You’ll create and manage timelines, measure and analyze results, and improve future processes. You are a writer who can capture attention with compelling hooks and translate nuanced and complex content into digestible stories. The ability to shape and assume various voices for Ubuntu, as well as create compelling campaign pitches, social media content, branding materials, and web content, is essential. Your impeccable storytelling skills will shape our message to connect with the right audience at the right time.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Write compelling copy. Draft, edit, and deliver a variety of content, including (but not limited to) annual reports, web content, presentations, and fundraising appeals. Communicate clear, concise messaging that moves a reader to action.
- Design effective content. Design and produce high-caliber email campaigns, webpages, and proposals. Expand on our brand identity as needed to support our fundraising.
- Manage websites. Work with our developers to ensure the effective running of all our core content and that capture and donation forms and processes are running smoothly.
- Build campaigns. Develop and implement communications strategies and calendars for our various initiatives. Using the lens of potential supporters, successfully build campaigns that move audiences to donate.
- Engage our social media following. Keep our online community informed and engaged in our fundraising initiatives and progress. Develop strategies to grow our following, and target key audiences with a diverse range of content and voices, including supporters and Ubuntu’s client community in Gqeberha.
- Lead email marketing. Create fundraising, marketing, and event communications for our 20k+ subscribers.
- Data. Understand how all of our communications connect to our CRM and ensure data flows in a way that helps track donations, target audiences, and engage supporters.
- Ubuntu outreach and events. Provide creative direction and strategic planning for Ubunut’s small events, outreach and yearly galas in NYC, London and Johannesburg. Produce bold visual stories and create narrative arcs that create deep emotional connection to Ubuntu’s life-changing impact.
- Empower Ubuntu’s global team. Train and empower Ubuntu’s global team to utilize our communication tools and brand to accomplish their diverse goals. This includes social media coaching and content library management.
What You Bring
- Strategy. You think strategically about communications and enjoy being part of a fast-paced, highly collaborative team that values rigorous analysis.
- Five years of experience. You’ve proven successful in the fields of communications, marketing, social media, campaign development, public relations, and branding.
- Campaign design. You’ve used campaigns to turn audiences into supporters, ultimately contributing to an organization's funding. You’re intrigued by this challenge and enjoy crafting messages to build support in order to increase the positive impact your team can create.
- Copywriting. Yours are the first and last eyes on major communications. With a general message, audience, and call to action, you can craft compelling communication.
- Precision. You’re detail-oriented and responsible for the accuracy and quality of external communications.
- Project management skills. You’re known for being able to juggle ownership and execution of a diverse array of projects at any given time. Your teammates know to go to you for guidance on managing timelines, measuring and analyzing results, and improving future processes.
- Visual creativity. You might not be a graphic designer by training, but you have an eye for design. You can utilize Adobe, our CMS, and email tools to create effective content that resonates with diverse targeted audiences.
- Passion. You love the power of storytelling. You have an incredible ability to use words and imagery to move from ambiguous ideas to action-oriented messages for audiences.
- Computer competency. You are proficient in Adobe and Google Suite with extensive experience in CMS and CRM platforms (preferably NPSP and Craft). Prior experience with Slack and Asana is a plus.
- Mission alignment. You’re inspired by Ubuntu’s mission, and are eager to become part of a team driven and dedicated to providing township children with what all children deserve--everything, every day.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package including medical, dental, and 401k. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis; thus, we recommend that you apply soon!
Please send a cover letter (max one page) and résumé/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The final step in the hiring process will be to arrange personal reference calls to confirm the details of your work history and performance. Applicants must be eligible to work within the United States. Currently, our NYC office is operating on a hybrid schedule, working in-office Tuesday-Thursday, and remotely Monday and Friday.