Who We Are: Ubuntu Pathways
Ubuntu provides world-class health and educational support to orphaned and vulnerable children living in the townships of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Nuancing traditional development models, we’ve redefined the theory of “going to scale;” instead of expanding geographically, we focus on the depth rather than breadth of our impact within a community of 400,000 people. Ubuntu's programs form an integrated system of medical, health, and educational services, ensuring that disadvantaged children succeed in the world of higher education and employment.
Our Team At-a-Glance:
- Founded in 1999
- 75 global staff with 10 in New York City
- 2,000 students served to date
Who We’re Looking For
As the Communications Manager, you will be in charge of spearheading multiple, diverse projects in the department under the direction of the Director. You will own these projects from project plan to execution. You’ll create and manage timelines, measure and analyze results, and improve future processes. Through this project management, you’ll play a key role in advancing our strategic goals and increasing brand awareness. The ability to shape and assume various voices for Ubuntu, as well as create compelling campaign pitches, social media content, branding materials, and web content, is essential. Your impeccable storytelling skills will shape our message to connect with the right audience at the right time, building on the foundation we’ve already laid.
Your Role At-a-Glance:
- Work directly across multiple teams on fundraising campaigns, events, and marketing efforts
- Join the US-based team in our NYC office
- Own and lead various key responsibilities of the department
- Use your communications expertise to grow our support network
Your key mission …
Envision and execute our communications with the goal to creatively increase our brand recognition and raise funds.
- Crafting Content - You will develop, edit, and deliver a variety of content, including annual reports, web content, presentations, fundraising appeals, etc.
- Building Campaigns - You will develop and implement communications strategies and calendars for our various initiatives. Using the lens of potential supporters, you will successfully build campaigns that move audiences into action.
- Engaging social media following - You will keep our social media followers informed and engaged in our fundraising and progress and develop strategies to grow our social community
- Lead email marketing - You will support fundraising, marketing and event communications to our 20k+ subscribers
What You Bring…
- Strategy. You think strategically about communications and enjoy being part of a fast-paced, highly collaborative team that values rigorous analysis.
- 3-6 years of experience. You’ve proven successful in the fields of communications, marketing, social media, campaign development, public relations, and branding.
- Campaign Design. You’ve used campaigns to turn audiences into supporters, ultimately contributing to an organization's funding. You’re intrigued by this challenge and enjoy crafting messages to build support in order to increase the positive impact your team can create.
- Precision. You’re detail oriented and responsible for the accuracy and quality of final external communications.
- Project Management Skills. You’re known for being able to juggle ownership and execution of a diverse array of projects at any given time. Your teammates know to go to you for guidance on managing timelines, measuring and analyzing results, and improving future processes.
- Visual Creativity. You might not be a designer by training, but you have an eye for design and can create effective visual media. You can develop a message, including the aesthetics, to resonate with diverse targeted audiences.
- Passion. You love the power of storytelling. You have an incredible ability to use words to move from ambiguous ideas to action-oriented messages for audiences. As such, you’ve led the development and execution of a variety of communications campaigns and PR releases.
- Mission Alignment. You’re inspired by Ubuntu’s mission, and are eager to become part of a team driven and dedicated to raise township children by providing what all children deserve--everything. Ideally, you’ve even spent time in Africa!
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package including: medical, dental, and 401k . Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis; thus, we recommend that you apply soon!
Please send a cover letter (max one page) and résumé/CV to email@example.com.