Celebrate 20 years by making an anniversary gift.
Assistant to the Director, US
ASSISTANT TO THE DIRECTOR, US
Who We Are: Ubuntu Pathways
Ubuntu provides world-class health and educational support to orphaned and vulnerable children living in the townships of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Nuancing traditional development models, we have redefined the theory of “going to scale;” instead of expanding geographically, we focus on the depth rather than breadth of our impact within a community of 400,000 people. Ubuntu's programs form an integrated system of health, educational, and social services, ensuring that disadvantaged children succeed in the world of higher education and employment.
Ubuntu Pathways breaks the cycle of poverty by providing South Africa's most vulnerable children with what all children deserve—everything, every day.
Our Team At-a-Glance:
- Founded in 1999
- 75 global staff with 10 on the New York City team
- 2,000 vulnerable children on pathways out of poverty
Who We’re Looking For
Assistant to the Director
As the Assistant to the Director, you’ll play a key role supporting the planning and production of Galas in 3 continents, global marketing and communications, and the running of Ubuntu’s US office. You’ll coordinate budgets, vendors, performers and contracts on major events. You’ll support the US Director with special projects, fundraising, communications, and other administrative needs. Most importantly, you’re self-starting, collaborative, and passionate about supporting a dynamic team working to transform a community of vulnerable children in South Africa.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting the US Director. You’ll play a vital role in supporting the US Director to help move our global communications and fundraising agenda forward. This includes administrative support such as managing calendars and agendas, communication, administrative tasks, and booking travel as well as special projects, creative production, and strategic planning support.
- Event Organization. The US office leads the global event production. Guests experiences rely on efficient systems, guest lists, check-in, catering, and a smooth program. You’ll play a key role ensuring logistics run smoothly so that the stories, emotion, and impact of the night are unforgettable.
- Fundraising assistance. Manage guest and donor lists, help research fundraising tools, draft thank you letters and track donations,
- Coordinating content. You’ll support the global marketing efforts by editing design documents, gala content, coordinating print projects and many more
- Maintaining reliable data. From data input, to reporting for strategic purposes, your work maintaining good data will help Ubuntu run better events, fundraise more effectively and accomplish our goals.
What You Bring
- Proactive Problem Solving. You ask good questions, are attentive to detail, eager to learn about what it takes to run a non-profit and are highly organized. You can create a plan, outline its potential, and predict challenges.
- People & Communication Skills. You’re comfortable talking to and meeting new people, and want to get them excited about being a part of our community. You have strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills that you bring to bear with external vendors and colleagues.
- Fundraising experience. You understand that an organization depends on the strength of its fundraising. From data tracking to pledge follow-up, you can deliver results.
- Time Management Skills. You’re known for being able to juggle responsibilities, manage time well, and execute a diverse array of projects at any given time. Your colleagues trust you to multitask and prioritize work effectively.
- Computer competencies. You are proficient in MS Office, G Suite applications, and have a working knowledge of Adobe CC.
- Passion. You’re inspired by Ubuntu’s life-changing mission and are eager to become part of a team dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty by providing township children what all children deserve--everything. (Ideally, you’ve even spent time in Africa.)
- Education and prior experience. You hold a bachelor's Degree in a related field and have experience in non-profit fundraising, marketing and/or events.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package including: medical, dental and 401k . Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis; thus, we recommend that you apply soon! Please send a cover letter (max one page) and résumé/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The final step in the hiring process will be to arrange personal reference calls to confirm the details of your work history and performance.